We all know how wonderfully nutritious the chickpeas are. They are full of protein and are an essential part of my vegan diet. In the Middle Eastern culture, it’s common to serve the chickpeas with rice. I love this combo a lot for dinner. I cook the chickpeas the Mediterranean style, with olive oil. For the rice, I always use basmati rice as I find it the most delicious.
Let’s first start with the chickpeas recipe.
Ingredients for chickpea dish:
– 1.5 cup chickpeas. I prefer using non-canned chickpeas, so they need to be soaked in water for about 6-7 hours before cooking
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1 large onion
– 3 cloves garlic
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– Salt, black pepper, red pepper, and sumac for seasoning
– Finely chop the onion and the garlic
– On a pot, add the olive oil and bring it to low-medium heat (I always use pressure cooker for the chickpeas).
– Add the onions. When onions turn pink, add the garlic and the tomato paste. Give it a good stir.
– Add the seasoning to taste.
– Add the chickpeas to the mix. Finally add water that is enough to cover the mix.
– In medium heat, cook until chickpeas are tender. The cooking time will vary on your pot. With my pressure cooker, the cooking time is around 20 minutes.
Now, the simple recipe for the rice. Here are the ingredients:
– 1 cup basmati rice. Soak the rice in boiled water for 20 minutes, then wash in cold water and drain.
– 1.5 cup water
– 4 tablespoon vegan butter (I use the Earth Balance vegan shortening)
– On a rice pot, add the vegan butter, bring to low heat.
– When melted, add the drained rice. Stir several times.
– Add the salt to taste.
– Finally add the water, stir once and cover the pot.
– When the water is adsorbed, give it a stir and turn the heat off. Let it sit for min. 15 minutes with the lid on.
Voila! Both recipes are easy to make. I like serving the chickpeas over the rice but you don’t have to mix them.
Enjoy your dinner.