Lentils are very nutritious; they are high in protein, they are a good source of dietary fiber, and they are full of vitamins. I like both red and green lentils. I make soups and stews. This time, I wanted to try something different and I made patties. They came out delicious. They are served in room temperature. They are perfect appetizers. I served mine as our dinner entree with some steamed veggies. The next day, they were perfect for lunch, wrapped in lavash.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup red lentils (washed and drained)
- 1 cup fine bulgur
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch scallion
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups hot water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- Red pepper
- Black pepper
- In a pot, add the lentils and 3 cups of hot water. Bring to medium heat and boil until the lentils are cooked (until water is absorbed).
- Turn off the heat. Add the bulgur in the same pot and cover the lid. Let it stay for 30 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion.
- In a pan, add the olive oil and the onions, bring it to medium heat. Once the onions turn pink, add the tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, add the lentils and bulgur. Add the onions and tomato paste from the pan as well.
- Finely chop the scallions and the parsley. Add them to the bowl.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Add the seasoning to taste (I recommend plenty of cumin since it enhances the taste a lot).
- Knead the mixture with your hand until everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Make egg shaped pieces with your hands.
- Serve in room temperature. I like to serve it with lettuce. It's delicious wrapped up in lettuce with some lemon squeezed on top.
Voila! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.